Saturday 4 July 2015

The Cheese Stands Alone

If I'm not eating, I'm either talking about food, or planning my next meal. How do I come up with these weirdly amazing recipes, you may ask? Simple. I'm a pig. I not only love food, I'm a sharer. When I'm eating at a restaurant, if my meal is particularly delicious, not only does EVERYONE know (unsubtle yummy noises) but I also feel the need to share the delicious meal to all within a three table radius.

During my walk home today I was lost in thought, taking mental inventory of what I have left in the kitchen. The last deli chicken I bought was an f-i-asco so I have fixins for what I had originally planned, minus the chicken: frozen spinach, feta, mushrooms. I also have cream cheese as I'd intended to re-create the dip from last week, but I thought maybe I'd try a new approach: more veg, less cheese. Whaaaaaat???



Spinach and Feta Stuffed Mushroom Caps

15 large white mushrooms
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp lemon juice
sea salt
--------------------------
300g pkg frozen spinach, thawed
3 tbs unsalted butter or more if desired
100g feta cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
sea salt to taste
1/4 tsp greek seasoning

Preheat oven to 400. Over the sink or a bowl, squeeze the living shit out of the spinach with your bare hands, you need to extract as much of the water as possible because ew. You should be left with a couple good handfuls of green. In a medium frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat until bubbly. Lightly crumble/separate the spinach into the pan, sprinkle with the salt, garlic salt, and greek seasoning. Stir to coat, continue cooking until it's hot and delicious smelling. Remove from heat, set the pan aside to cool.

Gently wipe the mushrooms to clean the caps; don't rinse them because they absorb water. Twist out the stems; keep them for future use if you're one of those, I tossed mine because whatever. In a small microwaveable container, melt together the butter and lemon juice. Fully dip each cap in the lemon butter, place on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle the caps with any remaining butter, sprinkle them lightly with salt.

I used half of a 200g container of feta cheese, the type that's a feta brick floating in cheese water. Yum. I drained it then crumbled half the brick into the cooled spinach then tossed everything well to combine. Fill each cap with spinach mixture, evenly distributing the cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes. I suggest letting them cool a bit but I can't tell you how to live your lives. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment